Gel gives hair the appearance of being wet because it contains large amounts of water and holds it in the hair. Different sections of short or long hair can be combed to look wet and sleek. The wet, shiny nature of gels creates a sleek hairstyle and the sleek look is particularly well suited for the creation of elegant or edgy hairstyles.
Using Hair Gel and Wax to Create the Wet Look
Only hair gel or wax is needed to create the wet look. Simply spread hair gel or wax over your fingertips to apply the gel to your dry hair. Start with a small amount of gel and add more as needed. Then comb the hair and apply hairspray. Briefly use a blow-dryer to set the gel, which will slightly harden as the shine intensifies. If you prefer a softer glow and hold you may want to apply a mixture of hair gel and wax to your dry hair.
Wet Look Creations
You can create the wet look whether your hair is long or short. Usually, short hair is completely covered with gel while only sections of long hair are styled to look wet and sleek. If you have a parting, be sure it is straight with the help of a styling comb.
- Sleek Short Hair: Comb your freshly shampooed short hair close to your scalp using a brush or comb. Then apply the gel as described above.
- The Sleek Ponytail: Distribute gel on the crown of your head before gathering your hair in a tightly bound ponytail.
- The Faux Bob: Apply gel to your medium-long hair from the roots to the ends and comb it straight. After gathering your hair in a ponytail, pull the hair band down to the end of the ponytail. Turn the end of the ponytail under and secure it with hair clips or slides.
- Undone Ponytail and Smooth Side Parting: After creating a side parting, use gel to comb back your fringe or the hair above your forehead. Do not apply gel to the remaining hair, which is gathered into a casual ponytail.
- Partially Gel-Treated Hair: Moisten the straight or straightened hair next to your scalp before carefully combing it down with the help of gel or gel wax. Use hairspray for additional shine and hold. With this wet look version, you can comb your hair behind the ear or allow it to flow straight down.
- Wet Look Semi-Updo: Turn partially gel-treated hair into a semi-updo. Simply apply gel to the top and sides of your hair and gather your hair into a French twist or chignon.