- A chignon keeps January Jones’ hair out of her face. Combined with her bright red lips and colourful earrings she’s got the summer look sorted.
- © Getty Images
Kick up your styling by a notch or two and create a casual updo. On a hot summer day, updos have the additional advantage of keeping hair away from the neck and face. Casual updos are ideal for summer outings, a day on the beach or for lazy afternoons in the shade.
Summer is finally here bringing not only new fashion but also new updos. This year’s summer hairstyles cover the entire range: casual, romantic, playful and cool.
Summertime Updos: The Ever-Popular Chignon
There are plenty of reasons why women love to wear chignons and why they have such staying power among stylish women, dancers, stars and models. Chignons are versatile enough to express individual styles and they are as practical as they are beautiful, especially in summer. Wear your own chignon creation to a summer party, on the beach or wherever you like to spend your summer. Chignons are unbeatable when it comes to style and practicality. Actress January Jones (see the photo above) wears her chignon high on the crown of her head. The ends of her hair are not hidden under the chignon and a few strands of hair are allowed to hang free for a delightfully casual appearance. The bright lipstick and her colourful accessories make it a lively summer style.
Step by step styling instructions for January Jones’ summertime chignon:
1. Shake a small amount of volumising powder into your palm and massage into the roots, adding volume to the style and making your hair more manageable.
2. Hang your head upside down and use a hair tie to gather a ponytail high on the crown of your head.
3. Twist the ponytail until it turns back on itself into a chignon. Secure the chignon using hair grips or a second hair tie. Allow some hair ends to peak out from underneath the chignon.
4. Allow a few strands of hair to escape from the updo for an undone hairstyle. You may want to tuck a few loose strands behind your ears.
5. Use a strong hold hairspray to keep the chignon in place.
Watch our video with Armin Morbach who shows how to create different chignon styles.
Video: Styling Three Different Chignon Versions
A beautiful updo for every occasion: Look through our photo gallery for some updo inspiration and tips on how to create these looks.