Marilyn Monroe's Famous Glamour Waves
- Marilyn Monroe was blonde by choice. Millions of women emulated her style and the way she styled and coloured her hair. Once again, her glamour waves make the top of the chart
- © Getty Images
Her blonde retro waves, the pouty lips, and her sexy figure are legendary. Her hairstyle became part of her image and appeal. Did it ever go out of style? Marilyn Monroe died young in August 50 years ago. We remember her style and so do many of today’s stars. Learn how to create the modern Marilyn Monroe glamour waves
We remember Marilyn Monroe, the arguably most famous sex symbol of the 20th century. She also was an actress with a knack for comedy, a singer with a distinctive voice ('I Wanna Be Loved By You'), and she was quick on the trigger with witty responses (Q: Did you really have nothing on? Marilyn Monroe: Of course, the radio!) She grew up with the name Norma Jean Baker. Her agent advised her to change her name to Marilyn Monroe (after the musical star Marilyn Miller and the maiden name of her mother). More significantly, she coloured her brown hair blonde and then soon became the women of many men’s dreams. Her appeal was and still is unrivalled. Men idolise her and women want to be or at least look like her. Small wonder! Marilyn Monroe sure made an appearance wherever she went. There was a special aura around her beautiful face and figure. It made her alluring and glamorous. Unfortunately, her appeal and talent never completely erased the self-image of her childhood. Inside, Marilyn Monroe was fragile, unsure of herself, and fearful.
Glamour Waves – Part of Marilyn Monroe's Image
Marilyn Monroe's hairstyle was one of her most prominent features, the part that pulled her appealing image together. While it may not have made her a style icon, her lively blonde hair was certainly a memorable part of her appeal. Glamour waves are in style now as they were fifty years ago. Since it is also the Hollywood style of the 1940s and 1950s, you may call wearing those generous waves retro style. Whatever the name, they are feminine and appealing.
Madonna, Amy McAdams, Paris Hilton, Christina Aguilera, Katherine Heigl, Michelle Williams along with a long list of stars have imitated Marilyn Monroe’s widely recognised hairstyle.
Marilyn Monroe's blonde waves worked as part of her image. What infused her looks with so much alluring style?
Retro style glamour waves enhance round faces more than small long ones. The hairstyle characteristic of Marilyn Monroe is chin-long, layered, and platinum blonde. Her waves were large and there were not too many of them. The sensuous hairstyle goes well with bright red lips and black eyeliner.
How to Style the Marilyn Monroe Hairstyle
1. Work a fist-sized dollop of volumising mousse or styling mousse through your towel-dry hair.
2. Use a comb to part your hair on one side.
3. Roll wide strands of hair around curlers or a wide curling iron.
4. After blow-drying, carefully remove the curlers out of the cooled hair. If you are using a curling iron you should allow each strand of hair to remain rolled up on it for a few seconds before removing the curling iron.
5. Use your fingers to shape the waves. Comb gel into your hair to give the style an elegant note. If you prefer a more casual look you may rather like to run your fingers through your hair a couple of times to create an endearing messy look.
6. Apply extra-gloss hairspray for more lustre and hold.
We invite you to enjoy our images of style icon Marilyn Monroe and some of today’s stars with glamour waves. Enter our hairstyle gallery!