Hair may lose its lustre due to various conditions. Stress, vitamin deficiency, hard water or UV rays are causes for dull looking hair and so are improper hair care and styling. Only healthy hair with smooth outer cuticles will reflect light. It’s this light reflection to which hair owes its deep shine. Mechanical stress and structural deficiencies or damage to the cuticles will dull the natural lustre of hair. Fortunately, there are quick remedies for dull looking hair.
Emergency Care to Restore Lustre to Dull Hair
- Use extra-gloss hairspray or shine boost spray after styling. Hairspray contains light-reflecting ingredients for instant lustre.
- Leave-in conditioners and hair oil restore the hair’s supple nature and add shine. Special hair care products with keratin help to strengthen hair and keep structural damage at bay.
- Extra conditioning of the hair ends (e. g. a conditioning serum) seal and smoothen the hair cuticles for more lustre.
- After shampooing, briefly rinse your hair with cold water. As a result, the hair cuticles will resume their natural smooth configuration, which allows the hair to shine.
- Allow your hair to air-dry. Drying with warm or hot air will distort the cuticle layer around the hair. This and the excessive loss of moisture dull hair.
Methods to Keep the Lustre in Your Hair for the Duration
- Hair needs to be healthy to show its natural lustre. The regular use of hair conditioners and treatments goes a long way toward keeping the lustre in your hair.
- Residual styling products in the hair will dull its shine. Therefore, it is important to shampoo your hair thoroughly. Brushing your hair before bedtime also removes excessive styling products. As additional benefit, brushing stimulates the sebum production.
- Condition your hair after every shampoo. Shampoos weaken the hair’s outer cuticle layer while conditioners help to restore their natural smooth configuration.
- Use only hair care products (shampoo, conditioning treatments), which are designed for your hair type. Using unsuitable hair care products often results in limp, oily or dry hair.
- Ideally, you should use hair care products of the same series because the ingredients work together harmoniously to create optimal results.
- The hair ends are especially prone to a loss of lustre. Cutting the hair ends regularly is the most efficient remedy for dull looking ends.
- Also avoid mechanical stress to your hair structure as much as possible. Hair accessories such as scrunchies and hair grips can harm the hair structure and dull your hair. Improper brushing or brushing too frequently also reduces the hair’s natural lustre.
In his video tutorial, Schwarzkopf hair expert Armin Morbach shows how professional hair stylists keep hair shiny and beautiful.